A PLAN OF THE CITY AND SUBURBS OF LONDON AS FORTIFIED BY ORDER OF PARLIAMENT IN THE YEARS1642 & 1643
Cartographer: Maitland Toms
Date: 1738 London
Size: 20*34 cms
Attractive and detaile plan of London in the 17th century and printed in the 18th.
Engraved by Vertue. The fortifications consisted of ramparts and ditches with forts at regular intervals and were built by large numbers of enthusiastic volunteer Londoners.
At the north end of Lambeth there were three forts each with four half bulwarks, one at Vauxhall, one by the Dog and Duck in St George's Fields and one near the end of Blackman Street, the present day Newington Causeway.
Good hand colour.
From William Maitland's "The History and Survey of London From Its Evolution to the Present Time"